No products in the cart.
The Budwig Diet
Dr. Johanna Budwig (30 September 1908 – 19 May 2003) was a German biochemist and author. Budwig was a pharmacist and held doctorate degrees in physics and chemistry. She was the first person to be able to separate good fats from fats in general in the blood cells under the microscope.
Once she was able to do this she discovered that most critically ill patients had little or no protective lining around the cells in the blood which is made up she discovered of 60% Omega 3. Healthy cells already had this layer of insulation around them.
She then worked on treating these damaged cells with as many types of Omega 3 oils as she could find, to try to replenish their structure to that of healthy cells. She describes her findings in her many books and found that the most successful source of healing the cells was a mixture of a good quality organic flax oil and cottage cheese or quark mixed with freshly ground flax seed. This mixture she found taken over time restored the damaged cells structure and put the protective layer of insulation around the cell to protect the nucleas of the cell from future damage.
Based on her research on fatty acids she developed a diet that contributed directly to the health and well-being of patients with numerous conditions.
As revealed on the Budwig Foundation’s website, the Budwig diet has been successfully helping people with cancer, as well as Arthritis, Asthma, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Multiple sclerosis, Heart Disease, Psoriasis, Eczema, Acne and other chronic conditions.
A crucial aspect of the Budwig diet is the vital role played by Flaxseed oil and flaxseed. Below, and with the help of the Budwig Foundation we have outlined the diet and how you can get started.
To start the diet, you will need to have two appliances
- A coffee bean grinder to grind the flaxseeds.
- An immersion hand-held blender (a stick-shaped mixer). It’s important to use an electric mixer rather than stirring by hand.
Please bear in mind that any diet should always be tailored according to your conditions, symptoms and tolerances. People all over the world, with access to different available ingredients according to their season and region are following the guidelines of the Budwig diet.
Here are some foods that are acceptable on the Budwig diet…
- Stevia, raw non-pasteurized honey, Xylitol (from Birch trees), dates, dates, figs, berry and fruit juices serve as sweeteners.
- Herbs in their natural form (pure, nothing added)
- All nuts (raw unroasted) are fine except peanuts
- All seeds, especially sunflower seeds are very complete and filling
- Raw unprocessed cocoa, shredded (unsweetened coconut)
- Cup of black tea is accepted
- Any flour is permissible as long as it’s 100% whole grain. Corn is best to avoid because of mold/fungus and genetic manipulation
- 2 or 3 slices of health food store pickles (no preservatives! – read label!)
- Freezing cottage cheese /Quark as well as fruits and vegetables is ok.
The flaxseed oil must always be kept in the refrigerator. It will keep for 12 months in the freezer. It is also important to drink purified water where possible.
Foods to avoid according to Dr. Budwig
- NO hydrogenated oils, NO trans-fats
- NO animal fats, NO pork
- NO seafood (lobsters, clams, shrimp, all fish with a hard shell)
- White regular pasta as well as white bread.
- NO ice cream or dairy products (other than the cottage cheese)
- NO white sugar, molasses, maple syrup or preservatives.
- NO processed foods (NO store bought pastries)
- NO Soy products (unless fermented or used for 2 or 3 weeks at the beginning if you cannot tolerate the cottage cheese)
- Avoid pesticides and chemicals, even those in household products & cosmetics.
In terms of food preparation, it is important that NO microwave, NO Teflon or aluminium cooking ware or aluminium foil is used.
Dr. Budwig warned against using her protocol in conjunction with other therapies that could go against the benefits of her formula. Oxygen therapies, Laetrile (Vitamin B17 injections), Vitamin C infusions should not be combined with the programme.