No products in the cart.
Omega 3 – the ESSENTIAL fatty acid you need in your diet
Our Flaxseed products are an excellent source of ALA or alpha linolenic fatty acid (Omega-3) which is an essential fatty acid. When we say ‘essential’ in this context, this means we cannot produce it ourselves so we must consume it in our diet from other sources.
Why is it so important?
Omega 3 is vital to our everyday lives. Clinicians and dieticians see it as a natural building block in our bodies. In other words, it is used to form every cell, membrane and function in the human body. And if we do not have enough Omega 3, the body is unable to perform its regular functions well. From the workings of our brain to the elimination of waste and everything else besides, Omega 3 keeps your body working to its optimum level.
In Ireland we have always been deficient in Omega 3 but its benefits are clear to see for all.
- Brain food – Students and those taking important exams have always turned to so-called ‘brain food’. Omega 3 falls right in this category and studies have shown it can help both brain and memory perform better. And with our education system so dependent on good exam performance, Omega 3 is the perfect healthy and natural option for students of all levels.
- Targets inflammation – Omega 3 has long been associated with the treatment of inflammatory conditions like bowel disease and arthritis. These conditions can have a serious impact on quality of life and the ability of Omega 3 to act as an anti-inflammatory makes it very popular.
- Pregnancy – During pregnancy, as the baby develops in the womb, extra resources are needed to ensure optimal development and growth. Omega 3, when taken during pregnancy, works hard to build your baby’s brain and immune system. After baby is born, taking Omega 3 during pregnancy leads to better milk production and decreases the chances of post-natal depression.
More about Omega 3, 6 & 9
Flaxseed contains not just Omega 3 but also Omega 6 & 9 in lower quantities. Each one plays their own important role and all work together to make Flaxseed a genuine super food.
- Omega 3 – we already know that Omega 3 fatty acid or alpha-linolenic acid is an essential fatty acid. It is most important for brain function and maintaining a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Omega 6 – also known as Linoleic acid, Omega 6 fatty acid, is an essential polyunsaturated fat. It is an important component of cell membranes and helps control weight loss and helps build lean body mass.
- Omega 9 – these are known as non-essential fatty acids because our body can make them. Omega-9 is most commonly associated with olive oil from where it gets its name oleic acid
Omega 3 has so many benefits. As Irelands’s only 100% certified organic grower and producer of flax oil products, we take great pride in providing Omega3-rich foods to the Irish and UK markets.Go to our online store and browse our product range